Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The New and Improved Rice Krispy Treat for Chocolate Lovers!

This summer I started to experiment with other treats besides cookies. I made fondant covered Rice Krispy treats for a Rehearsal Dinner as well as a Wedding. It was fun to take a step back from baking sugar cookies in different shapes and designs and do something different. It was also nice to turn off the oven...especially when our central air decided to not cooperate and work anymore :).

I was cleaning out the pantry looking for canned and non perishable goods to donate to the food bank collection at work. To my surprise, I had lots of extra huge boxes of Rice Krispies left over from this summer's endeavors! So..I decided to mix up a classic.....


6 cups of good ole Rice Krispies



Instead of melting marshmallows and butter...I added some cocoa powder to the mix



The result was a cocoa rice krispy..which looked good, but wasn't enough for this chocolate luvah



I always have spare chocolate hanging around. I love to stock up when it goes on sale...you name it..milk, bittersweet, german, semi sweet...I got it. i melted up some semi sweet chocolate squares in my new double boiler (a genius invention that elminates my glass bowl over a saucepan)




I smothered the rice krispy treats with the melted chocolate....



Voila...a double chocolate rice krispy treat....the melted chocolate harded into a nice layer on top of the treats!




Just another shot of these puppies...it's actual not a horribly bad recipe either calorie wise!



The only downfall to this recipe..I felt like the cereal didn't last as long with all the additive. Be sure to keep them in a very good airtight container. I brought them to work in a Ziploc plastic container. Someone left the lid off for an hour or so and I thought it really did these in and they tasted a bit stale :(

No comments:

Post a Comment