Sunday, December 13, 2009

Monkey Cookies...aka Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

Next up.....some Monkey Cookies as we call them in my house...probably because we're the proud parents of a little cat that looks like a monkey...so these cookies are in honor of our cat, Reese.


Here's Reese...


This was another easy cookie to make...lots of ingredients on hand..trying to decide between the "good" chocolate chips or not


This batter is so nice and fluffy. It combines all purpose flour with whole wheat flour and gives the cookie a nice golden brown tone to it


Another favorite tool of mine...my cookie scoop. I always thought, why bother, I can use spoons to scoop out the dough. BUT...using the scoop gives you perfect uniform cookies, or alot closer than you can do with 2 spoons. My favorite..the OXO meduim cookie scoop


Bill taught me a little secret to taking better up close pictures..so here's one.


Cooling on racks...


another close up!


Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies! cookbook)

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup mashed banana
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter with sugar and light brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mash banana and add to mixutre. Sift together all dry ingredients with the exception of the nuts and chips. Once mixed, fold in chips and nuts.

Bake for 12-13 minutes.

*these cookies spread...so space them about 1 inch apart to avoid a massive cookie!

Verdict......

I liked these cookies. I thought they were a nice version of a chocolate chip cookie. This is a variation of Martha's recipe, because I ran out of some ingredients and had to do some last minute subsitutions. We're huge fruit eaters in my house. While I love bananas, once they get a spot or turn brown, I turn my nose up at them. But, I will throw them in the freezer to use them for baking at a later date! I always have 3-4 in there, I thaw them for 10 minutes and they slide right out of their peel and mash up so easily.

Husband's vote....he thought they were okay. He said more banana....and liked the White Chocolate Craisin cookie better!

No comments:

Post a Comment